Gun & Ammo Trader
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

State and federal laws concerning transfer of firearms in Q&A form

Go down

State and federal laws concerning transfer of firearms in Q&A form Empty State and federal laws concerning transfer of firearms in Q&A form

Post by Joe Smith Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:54 am

I have put together some information in Q&A form to help everyone understand laws concerning the transfer of firearms in North Carolina. The owner and administrators of this Facebook Group urge everyone to do their due diligence in the process of transferring firearms in an effort to keep weapons out of the hands of people who are not allowed by law to possess them.

Question:

If I transfer, by sale or trade, a handgun to an individual whom I have known for many years and who does not have a criminal record, do I still need to require a purchase permit or concealed carry permit?

Answer:

Yes. North Carolina General Statute ยง 14-402 does not make any exception for the receipt or purchase of a handgun from a private individual as opposed to a firearms dealer. Therefore, a pistol purchase or North Carolina concealed carry permit is necessary before the transfer of any handgun can take place.

*North Carolina also allows the transfer of a handgun to sworn law enforcement officers upon receipt of a valid and current Agency Identification card.

Question:

How old must I be to purchase a handgun, shotgun, or rifle?

Answer:

To purchase a handgun from a federally licensed firearms dealer, an individual must be twenty-one (21) years of age or older. The age at which a person can purchase a shotgun or rifle from a licensed dealer is eighteen (18). Please note that although an eighteen (18), nineteen (19), or twenty (20) year old may be issued a pistol purchase permit, they would not be able to purchase a handgun with it from a licensed firearms dealer but could purchase a handgun from a private person.

Question:

How do I get a handgun purchase permit?

Answer:

Pistol purchase permits may be obtained from the sheriff where the purchaser or receiver resides. An application must be submitted to the sheriff by the individual who desires to obtain a pistol permit, and must satisfy the requirements of North Carolina law.

******Something very important to consider when buying and selling******

**Any person who knowingly solicits, persuades, encourages, or entices a licensed dealer or private seller of firearms or ammunition to transfer a firearm or ammunition under circumstances that the person knows would violate the laws of this State or the United States is guilty of a Class F felony.

**Any person who provides to a licensed dealer or private seller of firearms or ammunition information that the person knows to be materially false information with the intent to deceive the dealer or seller about the legality of a transfer of a firearm or ammunition is guilty of a Class F felony.

**Any person who willfully procures another to engage in conduct prohibited by this section shall be held accountable as a principal to the crime.
Joe Smith
Joe Smith
Admin

https://guntrader.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum